Sunday, October 10, 2010

{DIY Party Projects} Mini Cake Bunting Tutorial & Free Printable Alphabet Pages!


We are sharing something super fun to celebrate our big milestone of reaching 10,000 fans on Facebook! I can't explain how thrilled I am that you love what we are doing here on The TomKat Studio and that you are telling your friends about us, too! If you aren't a fan on Facebook yet, JOIN THE PARTY HERE!
I enlisted the help of one of my favorite party girls, Sharnel Dollar of Sharnel Dollar Designs to share a fun MINI CAKE BUNTING tutorial with you! She created one (below) recently for a party and I fell in LOVE! If you don't know Sharnel, you should. This fabulous party girl is full of ideas and style. I swoon over her gorgeous dessert tables, party styling and projects!
Along with her instructions, I have designed several printable PDF alphabet pages that will work perfectly for this project! I also took a few shortcuts when I created my own bunting to celebrate our 10,000 fans! So, check out her tutorial and below you will find my shortcuts!



What you will need:

2 Bamboo Skewers
2 Striped Paper Straws
Embrodiery Thread
Needle
Scissors
Cardstock

Download and print the free printable alphabet pages of your choice on cardstock. Cut out bunting flags and arrange them in order on a flat surface. Thread your needle with embrodiery thread (it's perfectly ok to make funny faces when completing this task.) We pre-punched two holes on the top corners of each flag to make it easier to push the needle through the card. Embrodiery needles aren't sharp enough normally to pierce without making a mess of the card. Thread each of the flags from the top row then pop the needle through one of the straws. Take the needle off the thread and re-thread the other end to enable you to attach the loose end to the remaining straw. Place your skewers in your cake and then insert the straws over the skewers. Tie the end off with two or three knots to secure the bunting in place. Continue this with the remaining bunting.


My Tips:When I made mine, I used a few shortcuts. I didn't have time to pull out a thread and needle, so I designed the flags as foldover diamonds so that I could secure the folded flags over thin ribbon with double-sided tape. I didn't have skewers on hand, so I used 6" lollipop sticks instead. Then just tied the two strings of bunting on the straws. It was really easy and super fun!

Here's the fun part!
Download your FREE printable alphabet flag pages now!

Download PASTEL pages HERE
Download BRIGHT pages HERE

Download BOLD pages HERE

fyi...in the scribd preview, the letters appear to be lopsided but when printed they are not!

Thank you to Sharnel for this fabulous idea! I would also like to thank Melissa at Decadent Delights for the gorgeous cake, Laura Winslow for the fabulous photos, Smeeks for the fab photo shoot location & paper straws, Sally at Polka Dot Market for the Balloons, and Serena, our intern for making the adorable mini pinwheels for the cake stand!

Looking for cake bunting with custom fonts/colors?
Coming soon to the shop! Email us for information!

28 comments:

Mindy said...

Adorable!! I am not seeing them on teh site to download so I may be doing something wrong. I will check later!! ;)

Julie Schreier said...

I am Having the same problem. They look great though.

Kim - The TomKat Studio said...

Hi ladies! I updated the links to Scribd! Let me know if they work for you now!

Julie Schreier said...

Thank you so much! They look fantastic. I will be using these for a birthday cake this weekend :)

MamaBear said...

Thankyou so much, they're just adorable! I can't wait to make this cake for my son's first birthday this week!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Kim - just downloaded! They are adorable.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the tutorial and the free printables...I fell in love with mini cake bunting the second I first saw it!

Lili said...

thanks so much! congrats kim!

Tulip and Turnip said...

Adorable!!! I can't wait to have a reason to make a cake!! Thanks, Kim!

Tammy@EventsByTammy said...

Really cute! Thanks for the downloads.

Sandi said...

this is awesome! Thanks so much Kim!

Save the Date for Cupcakes said...

Congrats, Kim!!! I love mini cake bunting too!!!

staci @ lizard n ladybug said...

Congratulations Kim!! this is such a cute bunting! Thanks for sharing!

JC's Loft said...

What fun...thanks for sharing!

Christina said...

Congrats Kim!! And thanks for the awesome mini bunting. SO CUTE!!

Christina said...

Congrats Kim!! And thanks for the awesome mini bunting. SO CUTE!!

Brenda said...

Wow Kim!! Congratulations! Your mini-bunting is so adorable! I LOVE IT! Thanks for sharing!!

The Beynon Family said...

What a great idea! I just made these for my daughters birthday party. I just bypassed using the skewers all together and just stuck the straw into the cake and tied the ribbon to the straw! Easy and so cute! Thanks!

Unknown said...

I'm in love with this idea! Thanks for sharing and for the freebies! Too cute!

Anonymous said...

I am also making this for my son's 1st birthday--so cute. Where do you find the paper straws?

Melisa said...

This is my FAVORITE! Thanks Kim!!

SugarFoot Designs said...

These are fantastic! I can't wait to use them!

Bambi said...

Love this - too cute!

Upscale Furniture Resales said...

Thank you so much for these mini bunting flags! I was so excited to use them! Picture of them here: http://upscalefurnitureresales.blogspot.com/2010/11/happy-thanksgiving.html
Thank you Kim!

sketybean said...

Love them! Thank You!

Amanda said...

Sweet, simple and adorable. Thanks so much :o)

Sarah Moore said...

These made my sons cake! Thank you so much!
http://mischeifandmayhem.blogspot.com/2011/01/brownie-sunday-ice-cream-cake.html

That Cute Little Cake said...

Thank you so much for this free printable.
I am planning a rainbow party for my little girl and this could well be how I decorate the cake (it will be rainbow inside, so no need for much decoration outiside)

I have just featured this cake bunting on my blog
thatcutelittlecake.blogspot.com