Monday, January 26, 2009

Birthday Party: Our Little Cupcake!

Now that I am in party-planning mode again for my daughter's upcoming 2nd birthday, I thought it would be fun to write about her 1st birthday party, which was themed "Our Little Cupcake"...

I made the invitations with scrapbook paper and then inserted them into vellum envelopes so the address would show through. (I'm sure the post office loved it!) Her photo and the little heart on top of the cupcake "popped" off the invite, and I hand cut all of the pieces to create the cupcakes. I even put some glitter sprinkles on the cupcakes....but hey, it was my baby girl's first birthday, I had to go all out!














My mom made it her mission to make the perfect "big" cupcake for Kate's main cake. I had found a cupcake cake pan, but it was just too small, so my mom practiced several cakes, and ended up using a throw-away foil pan to create it! My mom took cake decorating classes when my brother & I were young, and I've always loved looking back at pictures of the amazing cakes she made us when we were kids. I've love to take a class one day, as well. We also made a variety of cupcakes in different sizes and flavors! I am a cake plate fanatic, so it was fun to pull them all out for one event!


My sister-in-law, Nicollette always gives my kids the poshest presents. A few weeks before the party, she told me that she had Kate's attire all taken care of for the party. Most people would say that I couldn't handle that with my OCD, because I have to handle every little detail. However, I completely trust her and I couldn't have asked for something better! I was more than estastic over the outfit! She bought her an aqua Kaiya Eve tutu (frills galore!), along with a custom bling tank made by Pouty Pants with a cupcake with Kate's name in it (look closely!) This outfit was incredible and too perfect for her cupcake day!



I made coordinating decorations with the same fonts/colors that I used for the invitations. I am lucky that her birthday follows Valentine's Day, and I found perfect cupcake plates, napkins and placemats at Target. Also from Target, the little pink satin purses for favors and the heart tablecloth. I filled the purses with lollipops, cupcake notes & the princess cell phones from the Disney store, and made custom name tags for each guest.

I also set up a cupcake decorating station for the kids to decorate their own cupcakes. It was a huge mess, but lots of fun!

This year's theme?!? LOLLIPOPS!! Send me your ideas!

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your parties are the best. I always look forward to geting the pics. I have seen really cute lollipop bouquets...
Flower pots filled with all differnt sizes of lolly's...Great center pieces! I know you could make it VERY cute.

Sarah's Fab Day said...

So cute, I really love the tutu. I always go all out on a huge 1st birthday then the boys get family parties until they're 4. Then they get a "friend" party and this year for the 5th birthday we're taking Michael to Disneyland for his first time.I know I'm weird because I have all of these party rules.

I can't wait to see what you come up with for the lollipop birthday.

Aaron [air] said...

I stumbled onto your blog from project nursery comments left.....anyway with the lollipop idea....I did a cake at my sister in laws request for my neices first birthday. I did a little cake just for her. It was pink buttercream with a big sparkly K on top front and center. Then around the edge I took little tiny lollipops. I think they were mini tootsie pops and dipped them in water and then in colored crystalized sugar. I mixed up colors and dipped several times to get a sparkly effect. if you email me I will send you a photo. airgreenwood@gmail.com

Just wanted to help.

Anonymous said...

Hey! I love this party. Would you be interested in guest blogging your party ideas and others at project nursery. I just love your cupcake theme. You have such a talent Kim. Our distriution is growing leaps and bounds - 100K hits monthly from just 10K when you first found us. I really enjoy your style. In fact your Ikea desk happens to be the one I also spec'd for my remodeled office space! Email me your thoughts. We can exchange additional advertising as our contributors post for free :) Oh, and my main computer crashed so I may not respond right away. It's been a real stuggle this week!!! Ugh.

Heather said...

Love that cake! It's so fun to change the size from the expected. My daughter's birthday is right before Valentine's Day and it works out perfect for all the pink that she loves!

Kim - The TomKat Studio said...

Heather - With our daughter's in March, it's easy to find cute party supplies too, and great finding marked down Valentine's stuff right after Valentine's Day! Thanks for visiting!

Kim - The TomKat Studio said...

Melisa - Can't wait to get started as a contributor to Project Nursery! Thank you for the opportunity!!

Anonymous said...

What an absolutely beautiful birthday celebration! I came across your blog on FB and so pleased that I did. The cake was beautiful and the little details...spectacular!

Kim - The TomKat Studio said...

Tiziana - Thank you so much! I just joined facebook and can't believe you found me already! Glad you liked the party!!

Anonymous said...

I love it too bad I already started my daughter 1st birthday party theme with butterfly, fairy, and flowers. I was hoping you might be able to give me a few tips and ideas.

Kendra@My Insanity said...

So cute! My daughter's 1st was also a cupcake party. It looks like we had some of the same ideas:

http://meandmyinsanity.blogspot.com/2008/10/sweet-celebration-tessas-1st-birthday.html

What Akiva's been up to... said...

Great ideas here! Would your mom share with us how she made the cupcake cake? How did she make the ridges on the cupcake? Is the bottom regular frosting or fondant? It looks yummy, I am sure it was!

Kim - The TomKat Studio said...

Hi Chani! I will! I actually have that as one of my "Cupcake Monday" posts for the future. I just need to get the specifics from my mom! Stay tuned....

Heather Nicole said...

I LOVE THIS! i knew i wanted to do a huge cupcake for my daughter's first bday in december but you did cupcake to the max! i love it! i actually remember seeing the cupcake placemat at a store earlier this year...walmart or target..thanks so much for the great ideas!! how did you build up the top part of the huge cupcake??

www.heathernicoleblog.blogspot.com

Renee•Candy Stick Lane said...

HOLY COW BELLS!!!! I WANT A CUPPY PARTY (and Im turning 35 - hee hee) YOU DID A ROCK OUT JOB!!!!!

Sabrina said...

Hi;
Where did you buy the laminated cupcake placemat?

Kim - The TomKat Studio said...

Hi Sabrina!

The cupcake placemats were from Target's Valentine Collection that year. :( It was perfect timing for her party!

kelli said...

i love your ideas. thanks for the inspiration! what is that sweet little dot font you used on the invite and party details? can't wait to add it to my collection!

Nicole said...

i dont know if i told u but i'm doing a cupcake and polka dot theme for my daugters birthday next month! I LOVE all your ideas! I'll post pics of the party after! I'd love for you to help!

katie@tulsadetails said...

Precious, of course! You would never know you threw this before you an "official" party girl!

Crystal said...

I'm trying to plan a cupcake party for my daughter's first. I love the font you used on the invitations. Do you recall the name of it?

Thanks!

Heidi said...

Holy cow! Your crafts are so creative and wonderful. I'm loving this cupcake party. What a talent. I will be following your blog to get some ideas.

Unknown said...

Im really impressed by your pictures. What great ideas you have.