Tuesday, April 6, 2010

{Kate's Fairy Garden Party} Dessert Table Details!

As you probably know, I love dessert tables. My passion doesn't just stem from my love of yummy treats, but also the full presentation and creativity behind them. Amy Atlas is the queen of dessert tables and I find inspiration in every new table she creates. (thrilled that she featured mine on her blog last week!) Creating this dessert table was the highlight of planning Kate's party. I enlisted the help of many for this party, and several talented ladies made fabulous treats for this table! Shown above, is the picture perfect flower cake designed by a local baker, Melissa Mittleman. When she delivered it before the party, I literally had goosebumps. I wanted to cry, it was so beautiful and the perfect centerpiece to the table design!
Who does that? Cries over the beauty of dessert?! I do.
I think I've found my calling.

Another teary moment was when I opened a big box shipped all the way from Canada. I was literally leaping around the house with the biggest smile on my face, the night these pretties arrived from Marian from Sweetopia. Marian and I decided to swap skills (cookies for paper designs) and she did an AMAZING job translating the Fairy Garden designs onto cookies! I loved each one, but especially the fairy silhouette and the glittered little butterflies! How perfect?! I'm sorry to say that she is not available for hire, but she does share tons of tricks for decorating cookies over on her blog HERE! I believe she will be posting about these and hopefully sharing how she made them!
I figured I should probably make something myself for the dessert table, so you guessed it....the cupcakes were all moi! Well, with the exception of a tip (literally) from my friend, Sharnel at My Life, My Loves. When I spotted her "ruffle" frosting on the cupcakes she made for her daughter's party, I knew it was time for a new technique. She said to use the Wilton 2D (perfect...it's the one I use all of the time) and to hold at a 90 degree angle, use lots of pressure. Since my cupcakes were on the large side, I ended up piping four "ruffles" and then a big one in the middle on top. I think they turned out quite pretty! I topped them off with my cupcake toppers, of course...what's a party without them?

One of the many projects that I assigned to my mom, was to make mini-cheesecakes. I made these recently for a girls night in, and I've been addicted ever since. I had Melissa, the cake girl make some extra fondant flowers for the cheesecakes, since they tend to collapse in the center. Get the mini cheesecake recipe here.

Mmmmm.....next up. I met a super sweet girl, Nicole at my friend's bridal shower, who had brought cake pops. They were delicious. I've always wanted to try making them ala Bakerella, but I haven't tried yet. I looked up Nicole and asked if she would whip some up for me...and boy, did she deliver! These pops went like hotcakes and they weren't only adorable, but SO good. Her presentation was perfect in a white vase with edible grass...and she even added the same mesh butterflies I used throughout the party! She said she would share her tips and recipe with us here on TomKat Studio, so stay tuned! If you are local, she is starting a little business selling them....so go order some and thank me later!

Boy, the sweets keep coming.....
Next up, I'm not exactly sure how I "met" Kim at Sweeties by Kim on Etsy...but I'm sure glad I did! She sent some of her chocolate dipped oreos, along with the cutest oreo pops you've ever seen. The white ones with "kate" in different colors and the butterflies....oh my! I've got one stashed up on the shelf in my office armoire because it's too pretty to eat.
I'm hoping she'll do a little giveaway here on the blog, so one of you lucky readers will get to enjoy these as much as we did!

The rumor around our new neighborhood is that Susie makes the best meringue cookies....well, I figured I better try them out, right? So sweet Susie and her daughters (my babysitters!) made made dozens of mini meringues, in perfect party colors! She's going to share her recipe and tricks here, too! Won't this be fun?!
Okay, and the sweetest treats of all.........
the sweet fairies checking it all out!
(hey...is that a water bottle on my dessert table?!) Who did that?! Thank you all for your help and delicious goodies!
The dessert table was amazing and I can't wait to create another one!

XOXO, Kim
Photos courtesy of Vicki Lynn Photography

31 comments:

Jordan - Polkadot Prints said...

This is gorgeous, Kim! Love getting the 'behind the scenes' to all that goes into this! You did a sensational job! I bet you're on a high! xo

Meredith Nelson Photography said...

OMG KImmi! Absolutely GORGEOUS!

Carrie, Cory, Marley and Everly said...

So beautiful:-) Thanks for all of the details - it looked like a truly magical birthday!! Isn't it so rewarding when you know your friends and family enjoy seeing it (and eating all the yummies) as much as you enjoy creating it?!?!? Great job!

Double the Giggles said...

Sooooo gorgeous! Everything looks too good to eat!

Save the Date for Cupcakes said...

Love all the details~ and love, love,love Sweetopia!

Christi Bennett @ pisforparty said...

Your table is absolute perfection!! You did such a great job and thank you for sharing all of your sources! I can't wait to hear from the bakers themselves. Totally laughed out loud when I read the "water bottle" comment! I completely know what you mean!

Debbie said...

Every little detail from your party is just fabulous. I love it all. I'm curious, how long into the party does everything stay looking this great? What do you do to keep the masses (all the cute kids and their parents) from running over and gobbling it up in seconds? Also, do you serve only sweets at your parties or do you also have other party foods? I'm just curious as to what works well and how to incorporate some of these ideas into a garden party that would most likely also include some sort of bbq or sandwich meal.
Thanks for the inspiration.

A To Zebra Celebrations said...

A-M-A-Z-I-N-G Kim!! Just like you :) Love every yummy treat! They are so pretty and classy :) Nancy Pfeifer

denise said...

Absolutely BEAUTIFUL. Stunning in every way!!!! You are truly an ARTIST!!!! Thank you for sharing your passion and talent! Happy Birthday KATE!!!

Renee said...

It is all so beautiful! I want to do/make it all...exactly the way you did! (is that weird? lol!)
I'm excited to try some of these things out at my daughters party!!

Ashley said...

BEAUTIFUL!

linnette from paperglitter.com said...

So ADORABLE Kim---you have inspired me to do one for my little girls' 2nd birthday in August! Thank you for the fabulous posts-you rock!

Amy @ Living Locurto said...

So sweet!! Yum! Love those mini cheesecakes. We are having a dessert photo challenge on I Heart Faces next week... You should tell your photographer to enter one of your desserts! She might win:-)

http://iheartfaces.com

SOINSPIRED said...

I'm speechless! Everything, every little detail is beautiful. I can't wait to see the cookie recipe!

Marian (Sweetopia) said...

Kim, thank you so much for swapping skills with me! I can't tell you how excited I am to be a part of your wonderful site and to be on the future recieving end of you paper goods!! Life is good!!

Just Wrap It Fitness said...

WOW it looks amazing...what a perfect party for little Miss Kate!!
Nicole Cooper @ The Two Savvy Sisters

Amy O'Kane said...

your creations are so perfectly pretty with a thought for every detail. thank you for sharing!

Heather @ Glitter and Gloss said...

This table is stunning, Kim! Seriously gorgeous!!

jamie said...

So beautiful. Such inspiration! When I saw the meringues, it gave me a start - perfect! My daughter is a type 1 diabetic, and I'm working on a party that is fun and beautiful, but not filled with candy and cookies (there will be cake!!!), etc. Meringues are something I can make low sugar and she can snack on a bit...can't wait to hear about the tricks to make them so cute!

Shelley said...

{gasp}! {sigh}! Could this party be any more perfect?! You amaze me. We still need to feature you over on HowDoesShe.com. We'd love to have you. I'll email you. Thanks for sharing this beautiful party.

Rowaida said...

Absolutely gorgeous! This table is amazingly beautiful!

frabala said...

Unbelievable that all this came from a human hand!

Congratulations!

Kim - The TomKat Studio said...

Thank you for your sweet comments, ladies!

Debbie - We did a full spread of food as well, including little sandwiches for the kids (cream cheese/cucumber, pb & j, pb & choco chips), and chicken salad, egg salad, meatballs, queso w/chips, veggie & fruit trays...

Amy - I will tell Vicki to enter FOR SURE! That would be so fun!

Shelley - Absolutely, that would be fun! I get your posts everyday in my inbox and lovei it! :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, this is fabulous!! So glad I found your inspiring blog!!

Shauna said...

Just stunning! I came across your site because I am planning a Garden princess first brithday party for my daughter, but now I am overwhelmed. :) I hope my dessert table is half as amazing as yours, and by the way, I know a few people who would cry at the sight of all this eye candy too! ;)

Anonymous said...

Oh my sweet goodness, so lovely. Can't wait for tips and recipes. I'm going to try the ruffle frosting, so cute.

hterice said...

I love your party so much. http://hterice.blogspot.com/

hanni said...

WOW! I'm in love with the party! and your cupcake toppers! :)..how do u make the toppers look so good and cute? Do you print them? Mine always ended up misshaped or looking slopping. would you mind sharing some tips? :)tq!

Anonymous said...

Hi- I was wondering where to purchase the cupcake stands. They are so much nicer than any I've seen. Thanks!

Lollipop Events & Designs said...

Soooo soft and lovely!

Tara G. said...

So sweet- what precious memories!

I often make mini-cheesecakes in the little keebler graham shells. Perhaps those are bigger than what you had in mind. Anyway, they won't collapse.