Thursday, February 26, 2009

Reader Question: Family Photo Arrangements

{image via hgtv}

Hi Kim! We had the kids pictures professionally done last September and have yet to frame them. Do you know a good place or what's the most cost effective way to get something framed? They are way too nice to just stick in any frame. :) - Lorie
~
Hi Lorie! Thanks for asking, this is a great idea for a post!
If you are lucky enough to have a large wall space to dedicate to a collage of frames, this would be my favorite way of displaying family photos. A few years ago, I purchased these black thick border 8x10 frames from Joanns. I have arranged them several ways depending on the size of the space. In one of our houses, I did a grid of 3 across and 3 down. Very symmetrical (which is more my style). In our last home, pictured below, I had more space, so added a few other sizes of the same frame and created a collage. (I promise they weren't crooked, it's just the photo)
If you are creating a collage of frames like this, it is recommended to trace & cut the frame sizes out of wrapping paper or newspaper, and hang on the wall before nailing. My favorite places for inexpensive wall frames are Michaels, Aaron Brothers & Ikea. They all carry a wide variety of wall frames to match any decor. I personally prefer either a thicker frame or if a thinner frame use with mattes. I prefer to stick with the same color/style frame, just use different sizes. However, if your style is more eclectic, you can mix colors and styles to create something that works for you!

Here are a few other ideas for arranging:

{image via west elm}

I love the wall arrangement above from West Elm (and so does my blogging friend, Sarah :), and it would be fun to incorporate art and personal photos in a wall collage like this. Use the same style frames in multiple sizes.

{image via domino mag}

{image via aaron brothers}



{image via designmom}

{image via designmom}

SiDe NoTe:

Need beautiful family photos to put in frames? If you are in the Phoenix area, two of my best friends are both available for hire!


(CLICK LOGOS to view their work)


Like their logos? I designed them both! :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kim-

I love this post and your ideas! I am obviously looking into doing something like this right now with all my family pics. I love all the visuals so "thanks" for the help! I need to get started!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kimmi! Great posts...SO, I am hosting Easter...any ideas for fun entertaining for adults and kiddos? XXOO

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU!!! I am so excited to start looking and will definitely use these ideas!!!

HDTV Reviews said...

Wow, very professional