Thursday, January 13, 2011

{Party Planning} A Sweet 7th Birthday Celebration for Kate McRae!


There once was a little beautiful girl named Kate. A happy, vibrant, gorgeous, blond 5-year old with an amazing sparkle in her eyes. The moment I heard about her story, is the moment she stole my heart. I felt an instant connection to her, likely because my own beautiful little blond daughter is named Kate. Kate McRae has been through what no child should ever have to go through. She was diagnosed with a rare form of brain cancer in June 2009. {read her story here}

When Kate turned six last December, she was in the hospital undergoing harsh treatments. Her wonderful mom, Holly allowed me to come in and decorate her room, bring gifts and her favorite treats, powdered donuts. Many of my blogging friends and vendors sent goodies for Kate. It was a day that I will never forget. {read about my visit here}



Fast forward, it's been a over a year since that day. Kate has undergone treatment after treatment and miraculously {with the world praying for her} is cancer free. Kate started kindergarten this school year. She is still that happy, vibrant, gorgeous girl that she was before this evil disease took over her little body. Of course, she has repercussions from all of the treatments, but she is here and she is an absolute miracle.


I am honored that Holly asked me to help with Kate's upcoming 7th birthday celebration! What could be a bigger celebration that honoring your child's birthday that you never knew if she would see.

It's a big day.

I would love to ask you for your help! Whether you have a party product or service, or would like to send a gift or donate money to help with the party....I know that many of you have been touched by Kate, and would love nothing more than to help her celebrate this amazing day.
Please email kim@thetomkatstudio.com if you are interested in helping with Kate's party, which is scheduled for January 29th.

We are creating a new version of our Ice Cream Shoppe Collection for the party in neapolitan colors: pale pink, chocolate brown & white!

16 comments:

Unknown said...

I pray for Kate every day! Just happened upon the story online just after they found out. If there is anything I can do to help, let me know!

Rowaida said...

God bless her and protect her! Sent you an email kim

Anders Ruff Custom Designs said...

This is REALLY wonderful, Kim. I was about to go to bed and was on facebook and checked your site. So glad I did - a nice feeling to go to bed knowing that this little girl is okay!

Anonymous said...

Kim you are truly wonderful for using your talent as well as resources to do such an amazing thing for this little gal:)... I'm sure it will be a day she will NEVER forget!... Keep up the good work. You are a true inspiration! A million kuddos to you!! hugs:) Katie

JC's Loft said...

I have followed this story and so glad to hear she is happy and healthy : )

Paula

Tabitha@InspiredByGiving said...

Kim, so glad you are able to be apart of Kate's birthday. I'm always praying for her and her family. It's so great to see you providing such a beautiful party for her. She more than deserves it!
God Bless!

yours sweetly ♥ said...

I am so glad to see you feature this again. Seeing her name & story still out there touches my heart, the day I learned of it is a day I too, will never forget. What an incredible & special little girl.

Nikki said...

It is so amazing that she has pulled through this! (And I can't believe it's been a year since her big 6th birthday celebration.)
A little boy at my daughter's preschool (and our church) was just diagnosed with Stage 2cancer...he had surgery on Wednesday and the doctors removed his kidney and a rather large tumor. He will now undergo 12 months of chemo. It breaks my heart to think what he will go through...but then I think of Kate, and how she has overcome and is such an inspiration, and it gives me hope!
I can't wait to see what you come up with for her 7th birthday. That little girl is blessed in so many ways!

Nicole365 said...

Hey there Kim! My name is Nicole of SWEET Things. I would LOVE to donate anything you may need in the way of clothing for Kate's special day. My shop name is http://sweetthingskids.etsy.com! Please let me know if I can help in any way!!!

Thanks Nicole

Kim @ The Celebration Shoppe said...

You have such a kind heart Kim. Anything you need for sweet little Kate! Decor, custom cookies, money to buy what isn't donated. Just let me know. I've followed her story through you for some time now and my heart just breaks everytime I think about how she and her family have suffered. {Thank you Lord for healing her and bless her to remain healthy and lead a beautiful life.}

Tracy Quisenberry said...

We would love to provide her with a custom celebration cake (www.icingsmiles.org) or (http://www.facebook.com/icingsmiles). Please contact us if you are interested. tracy@icingsmiles.org

Anonymous said...

You know I am in!! I will email you! My Kate goes to Kate's school and Kim Andersons little Cami is in kindergarten with her ;)

Hammett's said...

Bless you for helping bring joy into this families life. Our son was 13 (we have 4 younger than him) when he was diagnosed with Ewings Sarcoma cancer. He went through 11 months of extreme chemo. You nailed it when you said it's an "evil disease", it's a terrible thing to watch your child go through. I'm SO happy she's cancer free, as is our son, what a blessing!!! Happy Birthday to Kate!

SoBlessed81 said...

Do you have a link on etsy that I can "buy" supplies to help for Kate's Miracle Birthday Party?

Frances Cheda said...

Hello!
What a great thing this is!!
Im the owner/designer of a tutu boutique 20 miles above San Francisco, Ca. Please check out my website and let me know if you're interested in a tutu for this little princess :)
www.BellaAriana.com
or www.facebook.com/BellaAriana

-Blessings

Cathy ~ Tadpoles and Teacups said...

What an amazing story and what an amazing little girl.