Wednesday, May 5, 2010

{Kate's Fairy Garden Party} Susie's Forgotten Meringue Recipe

When we moved into the neighborhood, I discovered that my neighbor has quite the reputation. Well, lots of the ladies have reputations around here (kidding), but Miss Susie is known for her delicious meringue cookies! Once I tried one (I mean some), I was hooked! These little pretties are puffs of sweet heaven. Light, airy and oh so cute! Once you start, it's hard to stop. I asked Susie if she would whip me up some for Kate's Fairy Garden Party, and she sure delivered! The colors were PERFECT! Many of you have requested the recipe & tips...so here you go!

Susie's Meringues
“Forgotten Cookies”

These “melt in your mouth” cookies were my Mom’s favorite, because they were cheap, easy to make and pretty. She made them every Christmas when I was growing up.
My mom called them “Forgotten” because she would preheat the oven to 275 degrees; put the cookies in the oven, then turn it off and leave them overnight (and forget them).
~ Susie


4 egg whites
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon Cream of Tartar
1 1/3 cup sugar
In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites until foamy.
Sprinkle in salt and cream of tartar; beat until “soft peaks” form.
Gradually add sugar, beating until “stiff peaks” form, about 5-8 minutes.
Take almost the full 5-8 minutes to sprinkle the sugar in.
Make sure the meringue is “stiff” looking or the cookies will droop.
Drop by teaspoonfuls or use a pastry bag with a big star tip onto foil lined cookie sheets.
Top with colorful sprinkles if desired.
Preheat oven to 225 degrees. Bake for 1.5 hours.
Turn off heat; leave cookies in the oven with the door ajar for at least an hour.
Yield: 4 dozen

Other tips:
If you add food coloring- you may need to beat a little more to bring the “stiff” peaks back.
If you get even a drop of egg yolk in the whites, they will never get “stiff”.
How they look when you put them in the oven is exactly how they will look when they are done.
You can place them really close together on the foil
After cooking, the more they dry, the more they melt in your mouth!

Susie, thank you so much for making these for Kate's party and for sharing your mother's recipe with us! Now, my dear readers.....go make some and send me pictures! I would love to see how they turn out! ~ Kim

21 comments:

Hollie Joy In The Morning said...

How beautiful!! Love the color scheme, all the decs and just could eat the whole plate of them!!=)

Brooke said...

Yum, they remind me of the "go to bed mints" my mom makes - mint flavored meringues with chocolate chips. The colors are perfect for Kate's Party.

Sandi said...

can't wait to try these! Thanks!

Unknown said...

oh yum! they look fantastic!

Kim @ http://frostmeblog.blogspot.com
party inspiration

Unknown said...

Cannot wait to try these. Thanks for sharing~

SOINSPIRED said...

How incredibly generous for both of you to share the recipe. They are beautiful!

Anonymous said...

These look great, i'm trying to make these yummy's right now, but i have a question, do you bake them for 1,5 hours or do you leaf them in de pre-heated oven for that time? Maybe it's my English, cause i'm dutch, but in susie's parts is says because she would preheat the oven to 275 degrees; put the cookies in the oven, then turn it off and leave them overnight (and forget them). so i'm thinking no baking but in your part it says Preheat oven to 225 degrees. Bake for 1.5 hours.

so i hope someone can help me with this!

baci Patricia

Alexis said...

Unbelievably Gorgeous! I can't wait to make them...

Unknown said...

Thank you for the recipe!!!!

Save the Date for Cupcakes said...

Sounds so SUPER EASY! I'm so making these!

Renee said...

YAY!! I've been waiting for this recipe! They are so adorable...I can't wait to make them!

Susie's Heart said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Susie's Heart said...

Hi Kim,
Thanks for posting my recipe and all your sweet words!! :)
For Trish- Yes, Preheat oven to 225 degrees. Then bake for 1.5 hours at 225 degrees.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Kim,

Tomorrow I'll try again!

sharlaine said...

Susie, how would these hold up here in the south with the humidity, any idea, I'd really like to try these!

Lydia said...

I love when people share their family recipe's and I can't wait to try this! Thank you!!!

Michele Baratta said...

Thanks for the recipe! My son will love it!!!

Christi Bennett @ pisforparty said...

Thank you so much for sharing the recipe and the TIPS! It's so helpful to know the timing instead of just saying, "beat until stiff". I'm always standing over the mixer wondering how long recipes really mean.

Thanks! =)

Anonymous said...

These are amazing - thanks for sharing. I made them this weekend and they tasted great, but i tried to make them a nice flower shape with a flower tip but it just ended up looking like a smooth mushroom. any tips on how to get the pretty shape?? thanks!!

Christi Bennett @ pisforparty said...

I'm trying these tonight!! I am TERRIBLE when it comes to separating egg whites...so we shall see. =)

Christi Bennett @ pisforparty said...

I'm shocked...I was successful! They are delicious!