Tuesday, July 7, 2009

TomKat Studio Frames: Worth The Wait...Hopefully!

I've been bad. Really bad. I had several custom orders for frames from April, that I finally just completed. Luckily, my customers were patient. I think they will be happy with the results!

During the process of making these frames (quite a few steps), I tell myself I'm not going to make them anymore. Too much work. But then, when I see the end result...I just can't help but want to make more! I've had many more requests for custom frames, but with my lack of time and demand for party products, I have been turning down the orders! So, I've been thinking about offering a DIY kit for these, including: instructions, frame, hardware, crytals and a choice of paper & flower combinations. What do you think?

So, on to the new ones! This one was created for Kara's mother-in-law (for Mother's Day), and it's my favorite of the bunch! I used a navy/olive/cream Amy Butler paper, topped with a white flower & Swarovski crystals.
Kara also purchased a frame for her mom, for Mother's Day and requested neutral or burgandy. I found this simple patterned paper and topped with a rich burgandy flower & crystals!
Mandy found me on Etsy, and after we chatted about some of her wedding items, she decided she couldn't live without a frame! She requested something blue/brown, and after giving her a few options, she chose this blue/brown (almost olive) Amy Butler paper. I topped with a white flower and some bling (of course!)


It was such a relief to get these completed and shipped off!

I also made two small custom frames, for my local customer, Heather.

I'll share those soon after I take some pictures!

17 comments:

Sherry Drennan said...

I would love the dyi tutorial for the frames!
ddrennan@centurytel.net

Amy :) said...

Great idea...I would definitely be interested. I'd love to do this project w/ a few girlfriends for a craft night.

Anonymous said...

I would also love a diy tutorial for the frames....
bean3024@cox.net

Jennifer said...

I would be interested in a diy. Love the frames. Would you mind sharing where you get the fabulous flowers? Are they on a stem when you buy them?

Thanks,
Jennifer

Anonymous said...

I would also love a DYI for the frames. I have been making some frames by painting them and adding ribbon and broach centers. But not sure about how to do the paper on the frames. Thanks.
sstevens1121@embarqmail.com

Andra said...

Yes! I would love the kit!!! Great idea!

Stefanie - anna and blue paperie said...

Definitely would love the DIY kit. Have been wanting to learn to make your simply chic frames.
srichter73@gmail.com

Vanessa said...

I would definitely purchase a DIY kit!!! I love your frames and would love to learn how to make one! You have the most creative ideas. I love looking at your blog and all of your adorable creations. Thanks for sharing them with us!

Kim - The TomKat Studio said...

Hmm...sounds like a good idea! I'll get on it and start selling kits on my Etsy shop!

Jennifer - I buy most of my flowers at Joann/Michaels on the stem! Be sure to buy the high quality stems though, it makes all the difference!

Jamie Dawson said...

PLEASE, PLEASE sell the DIY kits on Etsy!!! What a fab idea!!! I will be standing by to purchase for me and all my girls!!!

Kara said...

Kim--I just found this post!!! I'm not sure how I missed it. But, I LOVE the frames...they are amazing. I'm sad that you won't be doing them anymore, but it does sound like tons of work. I am sooo not crafty, but a do-it-yourself kit for one of these may actually bring out the Martha in me! ha

Thanks for helping me give such a thoughtful gift...definitely worth the wait! ;-)

Kim - The TomKat Studio said...

Hi Kara! Thank you again for your patience on these, and let me know what your mom & MIL think when they receive them!! :) I thought you would like to see photos since they shipped direct! :) Let me know when you get your purple invites! I'll be posting about them this week!

Anonymous said...

I love your frames and the DIY idea. Where do you get the 12 X 12 frames?

Vanessa said...

I think a DIY kit would be great! Where do you get the 12 X 12 frames?

Kim - The TomKat Studio said...

You can find 12x12 frames at Michaels, but I have my own custom made locally...better quality! ;)

Anonymous said...

Do you know if you'll be offering the DIY kit soon? I'd love to host a craft night and I think these would be perfect:)! Thanks:)!

Anonymous said...

Please, please make the DIY kits! I love your frames and I know my friends and I would really enjoy making them. Please keep us posted on the kits!!